Dean Ornish: Help the body heal itself
Dean Ornish talks about simple, low-tech and low-cost ways to take advantage of the body’s natural desire to heal itself.
Why you should listen to him:
Dr. Dean Ornish wants you to live longer, and have more fun while you’re at it. He’s one of the leading voices in the medical community promoting a balanced, holistic approach to health, and proving that it works. The author of Eat More, Weigh Less and several other best-selling books, Ornish is best known for his lifestyle-based approach to fighting heart disease.
His research at the Preventive Medicine Research Institute (the nonprofit he founded) clinically demonstrated that cardiovascular illnesses — and, most recently prostate cancer — can be treated and even reversed through diet and exercise. These findings (once thought to be physiologically implausible) have been widely chronicled in the US media, including Newsweek,for which Ornish writes a column. The fifty-something physician, who’s received many honors and awards, was chosen by LIFE Magazine as one of the most influential members of his generation. Among his many pursuits, Ornish is now working with food corporations to help stop America’s obesity pandemic from spreading around the globe.
“Instead of trying to motivate [patients] with the ‘fear of dying,’ Ornish reframes the issue. He inspires a new vision of the ‘joy of living’ — convincing them they can feel better, not just live longer.”
- Dean Ornish – Watch me because work is boring. (ahimsamaven.wordpress.com)
- The Eat More, Weigh Less Diet (everydayhealth.com)
- Dr. Dean Ornish asks, “To what degree do you want to make a lifestyle change?” (markshimada.wordpress.com)
- How to have a healthy heart for life (foxnews.com)
- Low carb vs. low fat…again (boston.com)
- Ornish diet (vegetarian diet) (weightloser7.blogspot.com)
- Preventing Heart Disease (fox2now.com)